When it comes to storing food, having the right containers is essential. Not only can the wrong containers impact the freshness and taste of your food, but they can also take up unnecessary space in your kitchen. With so many options available, choosing the best food storage containers can be overwhelming. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know to make an informed decision.
What are Food Storage Containers?
Food storage containers are containers designed to store food safely, keeping it fresh and protected from contamination. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, including glass, plastic, and silicone.
Pros and Cons of Different Materials
There are various types of materials used to make food storage containers, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Glass containers are durable, easy to clean, and don’t contain any harmful chemicals. They are also transparent, making it easy to see what’s inside. However, glass containers can be heavy and breakable, and they may not be as airtight as other materials, which can impact the freshness of your food.
Plastic containers are lightweight, convenient, and affordable. They also come in a wide range of sizes and styles. However, some plastic containers may contain harmful chemicals like BPA, and they may absorb stains and odors over time.
Silicone containers are flexible, easy to clean, and can withstand high temperatures. They are also lightweight and don’t contain any harmful chemicals. However, they may not be as durable as other materials, and they can be more expensive.
How to Choose the Right Container Size
The size of the container you choose will depend on the amount of food you want to store. It’s important to choose a container that’s not too big or too small for your needs. A container that’s too big can take up unnecessary space in your kitchen, while a container that’s too small won’t be able to hold enough food. Consider the size of your fridge and pantry when choosing your containers.
Alternatives to Traditional Food Storage Containers
While traditional food storage containers are popular, there are also some alternative options worth considering:
Mason jars are a popular option for storing dry goods like pasta, rice, and beans. They are affordable, durable, and come in a variety of sizes. Plus, they are great for meal prepping since you can see what’s inside.
Beeswax wraps are a sustainable alternative to plastic wrap. They are made from cotton infused with beeswax, making them reusable, washable, and compostable. They are great for wrapping sandwiches, covering bowls, and keeping produce fresh.
Reusable Silicone Bags
Reusable silicone bags are a great alternative to plastic bags. They are durable, easy to clean, and can be used for a variety of purposes, including storing snacks, packing lunches, and freezing food.
Tips for Storing Food
Regardless of the type of container you choose, there are some general tips to keep in mind when storing food:
- Store food in airtight containers to help preserve freshness.
- Label containers with the date to keep track of expiration dates.
- Store food at the proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Avoid storing acidic foods in metal containers, as this can cause the container to corrode.
The Best Food Storage Containers on the Market
Here are some of the best food storage containers currently available:
Pyrex Simply Store Glass Containers
These glass containers are lightweight, durable, and come in a variety of sizes. They are also dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe.
Rubbermaid Brilliance Plastic Containers
These plastic containers are airtight, leak-proof, and come with latches that keep the lid securely in place. They are also stain and odor-resistant and can be used in the microwave and dishwasher.
Stasher Silicone Bags
These reusable silicone bags are a great alternative to plastic bags. They are leak-proof, easy to clean, and can be used for a variety of purposes, including storing snacks, packing lunches, and freezing food.
Choosing the best food storage containers for your kitchen doesn’t have to be difficult. By considering the different materials, sizes, and alternatives available, you can make an informed decision that will help keep your food fresh and organized.
- Can I use any container to store food? No, it’s important to use containers specifically designed for storing food, as these containers are made from materials that won’t contaminate your food or impact its freshness.
- How long can I store food in a container? The length of time you can store food in a container will depend on the type of food and the container material. Check the expiration date and use-by dates of your food to determine how long it can be stored.
- What3. What should I look for in an airtight container? When looking for an airtight container, make sure it has a tight-fitting lid that seals securely and prevents air from getting in. This will help keep your food fresh for longer.
- Can I put food storage containers in the microwave? It depends on the material of the container. Glass and silicone containers are generally microwave-safe, while plastic containers may not be safe to use in the microwave. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions before using a container in the microwave.
- How can I clean my food storage containers? Most food storage containers can be cleaned with warm, soapy water. For tougher stains or odors, you can try soaking the container in a mixture of baking soda and water overnight. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives that can damage the container.