Commercial can openers are essential tools in any commercial kitchen. They make the tedious task of opening cans effortless and time-efficient. There are many different types of commercial can openers available in the market, and choosing the right one can be a daunting task. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive buying guide and review of the best commercial can openers.
Types of Commercial Can Openers
There are three main types of commercial can openers: manual can openers, electric can openers, and combination can openers.
Manual Can Openers
Manual can openers are the traditional type of can openers that require physical effort to operate. They are usually made of stainless steel and come with serrated blades that cut through the can’s lid. The blades are typically manually rotated around the can’s edge until the lid is completely cut off.
One of the advantages of manual can openers is that they are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. However, they require some physical effort to operate, which can be tiring for some users.
Electric Can Openers
Electric can openers are powered by electricity and require minimal effort to operate. They are designed to cut through cans’ lids quickly and efficiently, making them ideal for high-volume settings such as commercial kitchens.
Electric can openers come in two types: countertop and handheld. Countertop electric can openers are larger and more powerful, while handheld electric can openers are more compact and portable.
Combination Can Openers
Combination can openers are a hybrid of manual and electric can openers. They usually come with a manual crank, but they also have an electric motor that assists in cutting through the can’s lid.
Combination can openers are ideal for those who want the convenience of an electric can opener but also want the option of using a manual can opener.
Factors to Consider When Buying Commercial Can Openers
When choosing a commercial can opener, there are several factors you need to consider:
The cutting style of the can opener is an essential factor to consider. Some can openers cut through the top of the can, leaving a sharp edge, while others cut through the side of the can, leaving a smooth edge. The latter is safer and more convenient because it reduces the risk of injury and allows the lid to be resealed.
Size and Volume
Commercial can openers come in different sizes and volumes. If you have a high-volume kitchen, you will need a can opener that can handle large cans quickly and efficiently. You should also consider the available space in your kitchen and choose a can opener that fits comfortably.
Durability is essential when buying any commercial kitchen equipment. You want a can opener that is sturdy and long-lasting, so you don’t have to replace it frequently. Look for can openers made of stainless steel or heavy-duty plastic.
Ease of Use and Maintenance
A good commercial can opener should be easy to use and maintain. Electric can openers are generally easier to operate than manual can openers, but they require regular cleaning to prevent rust and other issues. Look for a can opener with removable parts for easy cleaning.
Best Commercial Can Openers
Having considered the factors listed above, we have compiled a list of the best commercial can openers available in the market:
1. Edlund 11100 Old Reliable Manual Can Opener
The Edlund 11100 Old Reliable Manual Can Opener is a classic manual can opener that has been around for over 75 years. It is durable, easy to use, and can open cans of various sizes. Its serrated blades are made of hardened steel and can cut through the toughest cans with ease.
2. Hamilton Beach 76388R Ensemble Electric Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach 76388R Ensemble Electric Can Opener is a countertop electric can opener that is easy to use and maintain. It comes with a removable cutting unit that is dishwasher safe, making cleaning a breeze.
3. Swing-A-Way Easy-Crank Can Opener
The Swing-A-Way Easy-Crank Can Opener is a combination can opener with a manual crank and an electric motor. It has a large ergonomic handle for easy operation and a built-in bottle opener. Its cutting blade is made of high-carbon steel, ensuring durability and efficiency.
In conclusion, commercial can openers are essential tools in any commercial kitchen. When choosing a commercial can opener, you need to consider factors such as cutting style, size and volume, durability, ease of use and maintenance. We hope this buying guide and review has been helpful in selecting the right commercial can opener for your kitchen.
- What is the difference between a manual and an electric can opener?
- A manual can opener requires physical effort to operate, while an electric can opener ispowered by electricity and requires minimal effort to operate.
- What is a combination can opener?
- A combination can opener is a hybrid of manual and electric can openers. It usually comes with a manual crank, but it also has an electric motor that assists in cutting through the can’s lid.
- How do I clean my electric can opener?
- Most electric can openers come with removable parts that are dishwasher safe. You can also clean them by wiping them down with a damp cloth.
- Can I use a commercial can opener for home use?
- Yes, you can use a commercial can opener for home use. However, they are typically larger and more expensive than regular can openers.
- Are there any safety concerns when using a can opener?
- Yes, there are safety concerns when using a can opener, especially if it leaves a sharp edge after cutting. Make sure to choose a can opener that cuts through the side of the can, leaving a smooth edge. Also, be careful when handling the lid after opening to avoid injury.